Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Inner Ear Virus Infection
schine05 posted:
Just sharing notes .. started losing hearing in left ear 7/29 thinking it was wax build up I self irrigated and used some outdated ear drops (Similasan) and did remove wax but no relief from feeling of pressure and rushing sound like a fan running. Continued trying to irrigate and drops for 3 days, no help. Went to GP Dr on day 5 who found ears clear but a bit of swelling of ear drum and prescribed Zyrtec 24hr for the weekend and should clear but it did not. Went to EarNoseThroat Dr 1st thing Monday - Day 7 got exam and hearing test and found moderate to severe hearing loss - hearing at 70 dB rather than normal 20 dB in left ear. My right ear is normal for my age with some high frequency clipping. ENT Dr started me on Prednisone for 12 days - 60mg/4 days, 40mg/4 days, 20mg/4days. Follow-up exam on 8/16 showed slight improvement to left ear now but still at moderately severe hearing loss of 60dB. Dr recommends now to have direct Steroid injection - scheduled this Monday 8/19 - Day 22 of the problem. Also taking 5 blood tests, one is for Limes. Told it could take up to 3 injections and still not work and could leave a hole in the ear drum which may or may not heal. If it does not heal they can close it via operating. After that would come MRI to look for growth on the nerve. A bit concerned about the injection but it seems the next logical course even though the Drs can't give any assurances that anything is going to work since it's mostly guesswork with viruses.

schine05 responded:
Update for those who may be experiencing the same thing ..
Had 1st Cortisone shot last week and had hearing test followed by 2nd injection today. Got almost no improvement at all from 1st injection. Fingers crossed for 2nd injection. If no improvement after 3rd injection then Dr said there's not much more they can do. I am also not a candidate for a hearing aid as the faint tinny sound I do get is "terrible" and a hearing aid will not improve it. Hoping for at least a better quality of sound from treatments so maybe I can use a hearing aid if all else fails. Also had an MRI to look for brain or nerve growths and came out clear. I will probably always have the loud ringing and rushing sound. Also have a feeling of fullness or pressure in the head and Dr said maybe when virus clears I may have some relief from that.

schine05 replied to schine05's response:
If any of this sounds familiar and you have any suggestions or information to share about it and possible treatments and outcomes I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

schine05 replied to schine05's response:
Well, looks like the virus injured the nerve and coclia so I'll be mostly deaf in the left ear and the hearing left is so poor that even a hearing aid won't help. The oral prednisone and 3 shots into the ear may have eliminated the virus but hearing tests show almost no improvement. I have very strong tinnitus in that ear with both a constant loud high pitch ringing and loud wind like sound. Only relief from that is when doing something like driving or working with other noise around and then its possible to forget it for a while. Maybe a white noise machine will help. Getting adjusted to the situation and my head fullness seems to be getting better .. could be sinus issues and hope that clears up over a few months. Good luck if you get an ear virus .. be sure to get to the Dr. a.s.a.p. and don't think it's just a wax blockage, get it checked in no more than a day or 2. The sooner the better.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.