Skip to content
Sleeping with a bleeding ear -- ideas?
AONeill1701 posted:
I've got a minor rupture in my ear drum, that happened yesterday around 4 PM but which wasn't bleeding much until 5 AM -- I think I was irritating it in my sleep.

I already consulted a doctor, who said I probably can wait a couple days to go in (it's Saturday morning, and offices around here aren't open until Monday) and thus avoid the emergency room, since there's no pain.

But she also said head injuries of any kind tend to bleed a lot, and that ruptures can result in pus and drainage.

And dangit, I can't sleep -- I keep hearing and feeling liquid dripping when I lay on the side with the rupture. But if I lay on the other side, the blood pools in my ear and causes that kind of "underwater" hearing loss (already happened once, but I was able to reverse it).

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to sleep more-or-less peacefully like this? Also, any ideas how long the bleeding/drainage lasts?

Helpful Tips

help
An_251960 pls hv u found a solution? Am currently passing 2thru d same problem. pls help. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.