Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Not strep-white patches on tonsils
Jmart2368 posted:
For the past 2 months I have been battling these white patches on my tonsils. -I went to a clinic and did a rapid strep, negative. She started me on 10days of AMOXICILLIN- 500MG, 40 total. The patches subsided a bit. After the 10 days I was feeling better. -Then about a week later they were back. Went to a different clinic and another rapid test, negative. No meds. -Waited about 4 days and went to Urgent Care. My tonsils were so swollen they were almost touching. Rapid was negative as was a culture. He put me on 10 days of CEFUROXIME-500MG, 20 total. Also gargling with alkalol. The spots all went away except for the top of a bit patch.

Now it's been about a week again and they are back in exactly the same spot. I can rub them off but they come back in the same spot. They are soft and don't smell. I do not have a fever, I'm a bit tired.

Any ideas? I did make an appointment with ENT but it is a month out still. Just would like an idea.

annascarlett2 responded:
I mean, it sounds like your tonsils are infected. Possibly tonsillitis or tonsil stones? I know that tonsils work as filters with holes that trap bacteria. This happens to me a few times a year, usually I am given antibiotics, but if they keep coming back, your condition might be more serious. I have considered a tonsilectemy myself. I just bought a waterpick to clean out the infected parts and my teeth/gums in general. I'd strongly suggest using one on a daily basis and brushing after each meal. My friend stopped eating bread and other yeasty food, which helped her. There are videos on youtube.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.