Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Throat still sore after antibiotics
meganareia posted:
Tomorrow will be my tenth and final day on 50mg Amoxicillin 2x per day. When I'd initially seen the doctor, the strep test came back negative but strep was diagnosed based on how my throat looked (swollen and covered in white on the left tonsil). I'm 23 and have had strep a handful of times. After starting antibiotics my fever subsided and my throat was a little better. Since then it has not improved but now the right tonsil has some white spots and the lymph node is swollen and sore. The left side still has significant white spots and is swollen and sore. The soreness gives me a headache, and the pain in my throat increases after eating, even very soft foods.

The other day I coughed and spat something that was peanut sized, dark red or black in color, firm, and covered in thick mucus. My throat immediately felt better for a few hours but eventually went back to hurting.

My insurance policy doesn't cover where I'm currently located, otherwise I'd see my doctor. I'm wondering if I should be better by now or if it's something other than strep. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you.

Jmart2368 responded:
I have something similar going on myself. I've been on two rounds of antibiotics and it almost clears up the spots then about 4 days after my last pill they come back.

After antibiotics you should definitely be better, especially if it is strep. You may have tonsil stones which antibiotics don't really help. Have you tried pushing one of the spots to see if it comes out?

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.