Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
mysterious lymph node swelling
pes1012 posted:
Hi,
Yesterday morning, I woke up with inflamed lymph nodes in my neck. I saw a doctor in the morning and they determined that I don't have strep (they took a throat culture and had the results within minutes) or an ear infection, and my tonsils aren't inflamed. Nor do I have a toothache. I have no other symptoms of a cold or a virus, and my temperature is normal. I'm not fatigued or sore anywhere. The doctor concluded it was likely viral and advised I take ibuprofen for the swelling and pain, and give it a few days.
I also told the doctor that for the last few months, I'd had a persistent urge to clear my throat. She thought that might be symptomatic of GERD, so she prescribed Zantac (which I'm to take 2x daily, 150mg doses, for the next month). If that doesn't work, she'll put me on Prilosec. She also asked for a stool sample (which I haven't provided yet).
Over the course of the day, the swelling reduced, but when I woke up this morning, it had returned and even felt a little worse. It's already started to go down, however. I've been taking Advil.
Other things to note: I've recently started swimming. Also, about three weeks ago, I had unprotected sex.
My questions:
- could GERD be related to swollen lymph nodes? I have no other swelling anywhere. Nor do I feel any indigestion or stomach discomfort, or other symptoms related to GERD.
- if it were viral, wouldn't I experience cold-like symptoms?
- if it were cancerous, the swelling wouldn't reduce over the course of a day, right?
- if it were related to swimming, wouldn't I be experiencing ear discomfort? And wouldn't the doctor have noticed the ear infection?
- if it were related to an STD, wouldn't I notice some other symptoms, in addition to swelling in my neck/throat?
Any suggestions? I'm seeing another doctor on Monday morning.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.