Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sharp pain in my throat
An_254272 posted:
Hi, I've recently been feeling a fairly sharp, throbbing pain in my throat. In a sense, it kind of feels like there's a small shard of glass sticking out of it. I only feel this when I talk or swallow.
This has so far happened to me twice, both within the same year. The first incident seemed to be triggered eating cinnamon foods. However, I haven't figured out the source of the second. Liquids seem to agitate my throat.

It feels like the source is from my uvula.

Feeling the back of my uvula with the tip of my tongue, I feel four small bumps, one different, and directly in the middle of the bulb. The other three are pretty much linear on the stem-like part above. The isolated bump is smaller, and feels rather similar to a wood splinter in a finger.
The pain slowly went away after about two weeks or so during the first case. It's not exactly painful, but more of an irritating inconvenience. Assuming that I've been specific enough, are there any home remedies for this issue?

On a related note, this seems like it should be common sense, but should I be touching my uvula with my tongue? I've discovered that I sometimes automatically do this when I get sick, because it gives me the impression of stopping my throat from hurting when I do.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.