Skip to content
Flu shot caused neck, shoulder and sever headaches
thecanz01 posted:
I got my flu shot on October 27, 2013. Nothing but the usual pain where the shot was given. However the next morning I woke up with sever headaches. It was throbbing so heard that my neck was stiff and my left eye watery. But my pain was only on my left side of my head. This pain continued for 9 days! Went for a neck X-ray and doctor said my neck muscles were extremely stiff / inflamed. Which was causing my head pain and neck and shoulder pain. Said it could be the flu shot which was causing me to have pain but he couldn't say for sure. He put me on cortisone pills for six days and said it should calm the neck inflammation down and I would feel better. Well I am on day three of the pills. Headache / pounding is gone but the stiffness is still there and now I feel the pain going down to my shoulders! At times I feel this pain is like a combination of whiplash and a migraine together! All this from the Flu shot? Can this be possible? I have had the flu shots in previous years, but this year I am really suffering! Can the flu shot attack the muscles? The neck and shoulder muscles?

Take the Poll

Is anyone else having neck, shoulder and sever headaches due to the flu shot? If so, did it go away and how long did it take before you felt better?
  • Neck pain due to flu shot
  • Shoulder pain due to flu shot
  • Headaches due to flu shot
vote
View Poll Results

cocreator responded:
The same thing happened to me. I got a flu shot and a few days later I started with a headache and neck pain (stiffness) and it did move to shoulder area. I am mostly better, but not totally. I
got my shot on on Oct. 24. I still have some stiffness and a slight headache and a burning feeling is now appearing on my back. Think I will skip the shot if this is what is does!

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.