Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pressure and hearing loss in ear after gun shot
An_255530 posted:
Three days ago I shot one round out of a 9mm pistol without ear protection and my ears rang for a few hours. Three days later my left ear has gotten a little better but their is still a slight ringing and lots of pressure. I can hear still, but loud noises still cause a lot of discomfort. Just wondering if/when my hearing will go back to normal and what I may have done to my ear. Any help or replies would be appreciated. I'm 26 yrs old and not exposed to a lot of loud sounds in my daily life.

atti_editor responded:
Hi and thank you for posting,

While we cannot diagnose your condition on this board, you may want to look through this information on tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and its possible treatments . Tinnitus can be caused by sudden loud noises. You may also be interested in this information on ruptured eardrums , as this can also happen in response to sudden loud noises. According to the articles, both conditions usually clear on their own, but if you are still experiencing the symptoms you describe it might be a good idea to make an appointment to see your doctor. He/she will be able to properly diagnose you and provide you with any necessary treatments or pain relief.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.