Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bump on back of tongue
eajim25 posted:
I noticed last night in the mirror there was a reddish bump on the back of my tongue (http://imgur.com/2rCzsFz). It doesn't hurt or affect me in any way but I am scared it could be something serious. Any advice and should I go see a doctor/dentist?

atti_editor responded:
Hi eajim25,

While we cannot give medical advice or diagnosis on the board, you might want to take a look at this article for information on causes of bumpy tongue. It could be many things, from enlarged tastebuds to a cancer sore or something brought on by trauma. For a proper diagnosis, you should make an appointment to see your dentist. Most mouth sores are nothing to worry about, but if it doesn't go away within a week or two you will want to rule out any more serious conditions.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.