Skip to content
Strange Crackling Noise in Ear on "S" Sounds
jblock posted:
Let me first start off by stating that I was completely irresponsible and went to a concert and did not bring ear plugs. I've been to plenty of concerts in the past, but at this one it was very compact and I was very close to a very large speaker, blasting music directly into my ears for 3 hours of the night.

I've had ringing in my ears from loud noises for prolonged times before (generally at concerts as i'm pretty cautious with my headphone volume), but this is the worst it's ever been.

It's been about 18 hours now. I still have a moderately loud ringing in my ears and sound volumes seem a bit "muffled".

The worst part however is that everyone sounds like they're speaking with a lisp. Something with the "S" sound is not coming through correctly and it "crackles" and makes the "S" sound like a person with a lisp were saying it. Myself, others, radio, whomever.

I'm concerned. I've read things about tinnitus, and obviously could be scaring myself into something I don't have, but it would suck that my hearing was fine and one concert is all it would take for me to have a ringing/lisp sound in my ears for the rest of my life.

Can anyone offer any insight, feedback, etc? Has anyone experienced this crackling/lisp sound before? It seems very odd and I can't find anything on the internet detailed a crackling noise on the "s" sounds.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate it more than you know!

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.