Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fractured Hyoid Bone
sbridge posted:
It took 27 years to finally found out what really was causing teeth-chattering pain to get a true diagnosis. Years ago, I was rubbing my then 2 year old daughter's back. She sat up quickly, and hit me in the throat. My neck fanned out and that night, I awoke, saying I couldn't breathe.
The beginning of a long search of pain relief. They thought it was a neurological problem. Had brain surgery. Still in pain. Many years and so many Dr's just would look at me with a huge question mark. Even my neurologist broke up with me.
Being in this severe pain was like a knife stuck in my throat. A knife that would not quit. I had many mri's, all my teeth pulled on the left side, still that knife wouldn't quit.
I contacting John Koff, of the TNA association. He told me to see Dr. Sirios at NYU Medical Center. Because the referal came from Mr. Koff, this famous Doctor took me in. He was amazed that I'd gone all these years in such dreadful pain without anyone finding out what was causing it. He didn't need an X-ray, just took a few photos. He could immediately see that my hyoid bone had fractured when my child hit my throat.
I am now having nerve blocks every three weeks in the city. When the pain breaks through I've a spray of ethyl chloride which immediately numbs it.
I kept telling my husband, I wish I could attend my autopsy, they would say, "so that was the problem". Now, I'm living proof that one can survive. Though, I only can swallow on the right side and it's a shame that I've lost taste, smell, and hunger from the brain surgery. But, I'm very thankful, to now know, I wasn't imagining this crazy knife. Also, a huge thanks to Dr. Sirois who just needed to look and see what happened. They did find the bone fragments, somewhere in my jaw during a nerve being redirected. They thought it odd that the pieces of bone where there, but, never figured out how they got there.
I'm getting help and my now 28 year old daughter meets me in the city for my injections. It has been a long journey for sure.

Take the Poll

Just wondering, if I'd gone to the ER the night that I was hit in the throat, would they have known then, that my hyoid bone was then just fractured?
Also, what could have been done immediately, to not spend 27 years of pain?
  • Could it have been diagnoised right after being hit?
  • Could anything be done to fix it so long ago?
  • Why didn't it show on the many MRI's I'd had?
vote
View Poll Results

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.