Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain
lisa71971 posted:
I have this pain under my jaw right where my jaw and neck meet by my ear, also sometimes my ear hurts. I've been having to swallow. A lot because on that side it feels like I have extra phlegm. I do not have a fever and there is no bump there.. Any ideas?

atti_editor responded:
Hello lisa71971,

While we cannot give medical advice or diagnosis here, you might be interested in this information about TMD which could possibly explain your jaw pain. Stress, grinding or clenching your teeth and a number of other things outlined in the above link can cause TMD, the symptoms of which include pain or tenderness in the face, jaw joint area, and in an around the ear.

Are there times when your symptoms are worse, such as when you are chewing or yawning? Sinus problems, toothaches and a number of other things could also be causing your symptoms.

It might be a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor or an ENT to have your jaw and ears looked at by a medical professional. He/she will be able to give you a proper diagnosis and hopefully a treatment plan to alleviate your pain.

Best wishes,
Atti

lisa71971 replied to atti_editor's response:
Thank you for your reply. Well my ear hurts sometimes really bad in the am. My right jaw catches sometimes. Like when I open my mouth really wide I hear cracking or it sounds like crushing bone sounds in my jaw. It's not really bad painful but hurts a bit. I know I have been grinding my teeth. I've been stressed from my job. I just always think it's worse case scenario. I have a 6 year old I need to be here for. I'm 42 years old. I saw my doctor and he said no ear infection and is referring me to a ent doctor.

atti_editor replied to lisa71971's response:
I am glad that you were able to see your doctor and that you have been referred to an ENT. Hopefully he/she will be able to get to the bottom of your pain. Please let us know what your find!

-Atti

Helpful Tips

Ear and throat pain
Hi, I have been experiencing a swollen tonsil for about three weeks, I went to the doctor mi first week and told him mi symptoms: sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.