Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mild throat pain
An_256664 posted:
Hi, I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes.
About 5 weeks ago I felt a pain in my throat coming on, it was gradual until one day it felt so swollen I couldn't stand it, it felt as if my glands were going to burst, and felt extremely tight in my neck. It was seemingly unnoticeable while eating though. I didn't go to the emergency room because I do not have insurance. I waited a 2 days and it went away, but i still feel this very mild pain under my tongue,around my jaw, and in the sides of my throat under the chin. I feel it mostly in the afternoon/evening and feel nothing in the morning. Sometimes I will feel a pop in my throat, or some pressure on my jaw.

Other facts:
I am 22 years old and have been smoking since I was 17. I quit when those symptoms started.

I used to wake up in the mornings with extreme pain under my tongue, felt like a popping stinging sensation that went away after an hour.

I have what I believe is a small abscess on my gums, in the front to the right but I am unsure, and two teeth which are black in between and under a previous filling.

I do plan on going to the doctor, it is just a matter of money.

lisa71971 responded:
I have the same pain under my tongue/jaw/ throat area on one side, do your ears hurt? I'm going to see an ent in a couple weeks. Have you been under a lot of stress? Do you drink water?

cbrad627 replied to lisa71971's response:
I don't have any ear pain. I have been under a good bit of stress, and I don't drink a lot of water, just recently have I started drinking more.

lisa71971 replied to cbrad627's response:
Do you clench your jaw or grind your teeth? It could be due to that. Someone told me to stop drinking coffee and drink more water and try to keep stress to a minimum.. It seemed to help some.

cbrad627 replied to lisa71971's response:
The problem is i don't realize it if I do grind my teeth, but I know recently I have been clenching a lot, i loosen up when i realize I am doing it.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.