Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain under left jaw and chest cramps
noahnoble posted:
I am a 17 year old, 270 pounds 6'0 male. I'm not very physically active, but I've had no real problems before concerning my weight. Tonight I woke up with a pain in the left side of my under chin/jaw and mild cramps (felt more like a compression) in my chest. I've had no other real symptoms since. Could this have been a minor heart attack? No other parts of my body ache and I am restless from the pain in my jaw, although I am extremely tired. Please help me out in getting an opinion on this. Thanks.

atti_editor responded:
Hi noahnoble,

Chest pain can result from a number of things , and only an examination by a medical professional can diagnose what is causing your pain. As this article on understanding heart attack symptoms state, a crushing, squeezing or burning pain, pressure or fullness in the center of the chest that may radiate to places such as jaw can signal a heart attack. It is important that you get in to see a medical professional to rule out this possibility or to take proper measures if a heart attack is what your examination indicates. Please let us know what you find.

Best wishes,
Atti

noahnoble replied to atti_editor's response:
Atti, Thanks for the information. I had read that article, among many others since I was restless. After taking some ibuprofen the pain in my jaw subsided and I felt a lot better. My mother examined my heart beat and it sounds and is beating at my normal testing rate. I think it could have just been an average cramp mixed with stress. I have had chest spasm before and that could have contributed to the compressed feeling that I was feeling. I don't plan to seek medical attention, but I most likely will if the symptoms ever return. Thanks for the concern.

atti_editor replied to noahnoble's response:
I am glad that you are feeling better!

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.