Tinnitus and loss of high frequencies after eardrum perforation
An_256929 posted:
Hi,

I recently had a serious head injury with blood bursting through my right ear. The eardrum healed 3 weeks after the accident completely.

However, 8 weeks after the perforation, I still have the very same continuous tinnitus and high frequency loss as I had on day 1.

An audiologist told me after checking my ear, if your previous hearing capability is not back within 8 weeks after the perforation (and the perforation is healed) than there are two options

1. Some of the 'little bones' that are behind your eardrum were repositioned by the bursting blood and now do not receive all the information from the eardrum. This can be solved by having a surgery where they through your eardrum and a cut behind your ear, reposition these bones.

2. option b is that it will stay like that and I will forever have tinnitus and loss of high frequencies.

After this lengthy intro, could anyone with experience confirm whether I have a chance for getting my old hearing back? Being a musician / sound engineer, loosing high frequencies in my right ear is really serious for me.....

thank you for your help!

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

I am sorry that you are suffering with this. While I don't have any experience with prolonged tinnitus, this article has some information on possible treatments that you might find helpful. Sometimes tinnitus goes away on its own, but not all tinnitus can be eliminated or reduced. I hope that you are able to find something that helps you get the hearing back in your right ear. Please keep us updated on how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

An_256929 replied to atti_editor's response:
thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the linked article is very generic as compared to my specific case.

Is there anyone here with a similar experience?

elma36 replied to An_256929's response:
I am an ENT Doctor and i have noticed over my 10 years of experience that people are suffering from tinnitus because of lack of knowledge and i think it is our responsibility to spread the message among masses through websites and forums. I have found http://tinnitusreliefinformation.com as more valuable piece of after my research at internet. I really appreciate your discussion about this specific matter. Please feel free to ask questions if you have any of....
Stay healthy