Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Scarlet Fever or what?
concernednga posted:
First, let me start by explaining that my first mistake was seeking medical attention from way back. I suffered a injury at a very young age (5) and was traumatized by my family doctor at that time to which resulted in a fear & distrust in doctors from that point forward.
Anyway, when I was around age 18, I came down with a severe sore throat that led to what I believe strep. My glands was swollen to the point that I couldn't swallow, had red & white puss inside my throat/tonsil area, and even red runners/streaks that ran from my glands at the top of my throat on each side to the bottom of my neck! I took the common sore throat meds which did nothing, and after a few days it worsened to nausea, abdominal pain and loss of equilibrium. I could barely stand to walk, it was as if I was drunk. I couldn't drink or eat so I went home to recover. The last thing I recall was crawling into bed and passing out. I don't know how long I was out but when I awoke I could tell that I was feeling a little better but was severely dehydrated! I consumed a lot of liquids and got better within a few days. But, shortly after my skin on the palms of both hands, fingers and feet began to peel off. Also, my hair started falling out! I could literally run my fingers through my hair and come out with wads of hair! The skin on my palms, fingers and base of my feet peeled off in large patches! Revealing a pinkish baby soft skin that was so tender that I couldn't hold or pick up anything hot or cold that normally I could with no problem! After a few days, my new skin thickened and returned to like normal. Since then I noticed that I had like pockets/holes in my throat. These pockets/holes will accumulate like a hard stinky tarter like substance that will irritate me until I work them out either with my tongue or fingers. These particles smell horrible and it sounds/looks like tarter off your teeth when you haven't flossed in a while. Shortly after this, I would say about a year, I noticed a small red spot appear on my neck. It looked like a red marker had been touched to my neck. I didn't think much of it at the time but within a short period it grew larger, much larger until it basically covered my entire throat, and continued till it covered most if not all of my chest. At times these red spots would be scaly and itchy. I had that for quiet some time and the whole time it seemed to keep spreading until we went to the beach one weekend. After soaking in the saltwater/ocean for the weekend the red patches completely went away. Looking online I've found a few things that it could have been. 1, is Scarlet Fever. I really don't know what I had other than I was really sick and as near death as I can recall ever being. Since then, I'm now age 42, at times have noticed some erratic heart beats/rate like a flutter. I also have since had severe back pain which radiates from my lower back all the way to my lower neck. I just started seeing a doctor about my back pain as I'm a mechanic and being so I do a lot of heavy lifting and my body is wearing out. My feet for years now when I wake up I can't walk flat footed, I have to walk on the sides of my feet for about an hour until I work the soreness out. Same way with my back! My back hurts the worst at night and mornings when I get up. The worst pain in the mornings is if you have worked out at a gym to much and the next day your muscles are so sore you can't hardly move! Well, that's my back every morning! And if I happen to move in the wrong way, Oh God! The pain is unbearable!!! I also have a stabbing & burning sensation that starts at my shoulders and runs down my spine and legs. 2 MRI's show multiple herniated disc with 1 pressing against my spinal cord & I also have a tumor at my T-3/T-4. On top of all of this, I found out recently that our water well may be contaminated by CSX & Atlanta Gas & Light Chemicals! Well is being tested, our area (Waycross Ga.) has a VERY high cancer rate! This is scary! More to come.

_chas_ responded:
There is nothing wrong with a healthy distrust of Doctors opinions. My examining doctor assumed my total loss of hearing on one side was an old problem and then directed the assistant to perform tasks on the wrong ear. I should have had it marked NOT THIS SIDE.

The Doctor is just a paid helper to get you in shape if possible. Consider them a well trained and experienced consultant. Follow their advice based on your view of your problem.

muffincat responded:
Man! I am so sorry for all you are going through! I'm sure you have a definite opinion about this, but would you consider seeing a chiropractor that someone you trust recommends for your back and feet pain? You would need to show the Dr. your MRI's first, but they might be able to give you some relief......

As for the symptoms you had after the sore throat, have you read about the long term problems associated with an untreated strep throat infection? The rash that you had, the erratic heart beats, and several of your other symptoms could definitely be a result of what sounds like a pretty severe case of strep when you were 18.

Hoping things start getting better for you soon! Stay strong

satur responded:
Sounds like severe mercury poisoning.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.