Skip to content
Ear Pain Getting Worse
An_257104 posted:
I was diagnosed with otitis media two weeks ago. I took antibitoics, and it cleared up. The fluid is still in my ears, and my ear drums are still retracted. I woke up this morning feeling like I did two weeks ago. I have an unbearable earache, and my ears keep popping. It hurts when they pop. I also started to get what feels like an earache behind my ear. Could the ear infection have come back?

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

I am sorry that you are experiencing these symptoms even after treatment. Repeat ear infections are possible. As this article explains, fluid behind the eardrum following an ear infection is normal and usually clears within 3 months without treatment. However, it sounds like you may be developing a second infection with the pain that you describe starting. It might be a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor or ENT to make sure that you get any needed treatment before your symptoms worsen. Please let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes,
Atti

smidget0192 replied to atti_editor's response:
The doctor said that the ear drops should have everything cleared up by my follow up appointment next week, and they won't see me until then. However, I'm still having bad earaches. I went to a clinic last week and they said the infection had cleared up, but this week I'm in a lot of pain again. Hopefully by the time I go for my follow up they will have an answer.

atti_editor replied to smidget0192's response:
I hope that next week's appointment will provide you with some answers! In the meantime, a warm compress on your ear and gargling salt water may help to ease some of your pain.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.