Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
my ear hurts when i blow my nose
skigirl360 posted:
Hello! So I had a sinus infection about 2 weeks ago. When I went to the doctors 2 weeks ago I thought I had an ear infection because my ear hurt so bad. My doctor told me that my ear looked fine and that I had a sinus infection that was pushing on my ear making it hurt. She gave me a z-pack and sent me on my way. I was also constantly nauseous and therefore had no appetite which is why i thought it was an ear infection.

since the z-pack my sinus infection symptoms have gone way and i have my appetite back. but every time i blow my nose, even every so lightly my ear (the one i thought i had an ear infection in, the left one) hurts so had that i cry. i have a runny nose b/c i am a daycare teacher...it is a constant state of being for me! and i cant do anything about it. and i am really concerned becuase I am going on a trip the I am flying for in 18 days and I am afraid i am going to be in agony the whole time i am on the plane. or worse that my ear drum is going to explode while i am on the plane or something.

thank you in advance for any help!

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
You may have Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD) -- not an uncommon event after a bad cold or sinus infection.

There are two tiny ventilation and drainage tubes that run from our middle ear space (the area behind the eardrum) to the back of our throats (near the adenoids) called the eustachian tubes. The main purpose of these ventilation tubes is to make sure the middle ear space is filled with AIR at the same atmospheric pressure as the outside atmosphere. As tiny as these little tubes are, they tend to do a great job. However, they are prone to becoming ?dysfunctional?. Colds, allergies, environmental irritants, sinus infections, tonsillitis, cigarette smoke, airplane flights, driving in a mountainous area, etc. all can the eustachian tubes to malfunction. When this happens, fluid and/or changes in air pressure will occur in the sensitive middle ear space. This will compromise your hearing (stuffy, full feeling), and your ears may feel a need to ?pop. Some e-tubes can lock in the "opem"position (patulous eustachian tubes), so when you blow your nose, you may be forcing air with the e-tubes and increasing pressure in the middle ear space.

Bacteria can migrate from the back of your throat, up the clogged eustachian tubes, and find a welcome home in the warm, dark, moist chamber of the middle ear (a middle ear infection). SInce you are going to be flying soon, it may be a good idea to see your medical provide before you take off.

Most cases of ETD will self-resolve in a week or so. Rarely will ETD will become chronic, but it does happen. Although controversial, decongestants (like pseudoephedrine) can help, but not all people can medically use them. It is always best to check with your own medical provider first. Prescription nasal corticosteroid sprays have also be used, especially in people with allergies. If you have an infection, you may need another antibiotic course.

MarsMetro responded:
I have found that "oil of oregano" is as effective at killing bacteria in the body as antibiotics.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to MarsMetro's response:
I spend the day picking oregano and drying it (for cooking, not medical treatments). You may attribute the oregano oil with the cure, but your immune system deserves most of the credit. I have not seen any scientific evidence that oregano oil is as effective as antibiotics, so for me...and my patients, I may stick to those antibiotics.

QueenJZ responded:
@skigirl360:

Please do NOT fly with an ear infection, it is the worst thing ever possible you could do to your ear and it is very dangerous so if you can, delay your trip till the time you're more healthy.

I've had ear infections throughout all my childhood. Thousand times. When you go outside, put a small cotton ball in each ear - to prevent a cold wind and dust from entering your already infected ear. And i recommend you to start taking some pills to help treat the infection.

If you don't take pills or allergic to them, ear candles can also be helpful - just google it and see how it works.

Good luck and get well!

QueenJZ responded:
@skigirl360:

DO NOT fly with an ear infection. Its the worst thing you can do to your ears. You might end up in the hospital during your trip and i would totally recommend you to delay it till the time when you're more healthy.

I had ear infections throughout all my childhood. Thousands of them. They hurt pretty bad indeed. Back in Soviet Union, we didn't use antibiotics and my mom used to treat my ears with ear candles - they are very good and always worked for me. However, if you want a fast treatment, i recommend you to start taking some good antibiotics for ear infection. (...I know too many antibiotics and I got a horrible gastritis from taking too many of them) but still, consider it.

Also, when you go outside, put a small cotton ball in each ear to prevent cold wind and dust from entering your already infected ears. Basically, keep your ears warm and clean, don't expose them to cold or wind and definitely take medicines.

An_253660 replied to MarsMetro's response:
From a page on this website:

Oregano is a plant. The leaf is used to make medicine.

Oregano is used for respiratory tract disorders such as coughs, asthma , croup , andbronchitis . It is also used for gastrointestinal (GI) disorders such as heartburn andbloating . Other uses include treating menstrual cramps, rheumatoid arthritis , urinary tract disorders including urinary tract infections (UTIs), headaches , and heart conditions.

The oil of oregano is taken by mouth for intestinal parasites, allergies , sinus pain,arthritis , cold and flu , swine flu , earaches , and fatigue . It is applied to the skin for skin conditions including acne , athlete's foot , oily skin, dandruff , canker sores , warts,ringworm , rosacea , and psoriasis ; as well as for insect and spider bites , gum disease, toothaches, muscle pain , and varicose veins . Oregano oil is also used topically as an insect repellent.

In foods and beverages, oregano is used as a culinary spice and a food preservative.

How does it work?Oregano contains chemicals that might help reduce cough and spasms. Oregano also might help digestion by increasing bile flow and fighting against some bacteria, viruses, fungi, intestinal worms, and other parasites.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-644-oregano.aspx?activeIngredientId=644&activeIngredientName=oregano

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.