Skip to content
Loss of Taste Buds after illness
Seadansr posted:
I just spent 5 days being sick where I was weak, fever, and sore muscles all over. Yesterday as I was nearly recovered, I lost all tastes on my tongue. Milk taste like water. Soda taste like it is unsweetened. even can't taste the tomato sauce in pizza or lasagna. I also smoke, but I have never lost all sensation on my tongue when I was ill before. Even the cigars I enjoy occasionally have an entire different taste now, than they did 5 days ago, which was last time I smoked cause I stopped while I was sick.

what would cause me to lose the ability to taste anything? these only tastes I have in my mouth is like a dry, acidy taste.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Clearly, your illness was responsible for this loss of taste sensation. In most cases, this will return....but I have no way of predicting when (or even, if) this will happen. Taste and smell are neurologically-linked and this problem can be complex. There is really nothing that can be done other than wait it out. Assuming you do not have any underlying infection, such as sinusitis, statistically you should be fine....at some point. Smoking does play a role in all of this, too.

I know this may seem like a vague response, but I do not know anything about you, your complete medical history, or have any way of examining you to know if there is another medical reason for this problem. You should see your medical provider for a proper examination if your body does not heal itself and return your lost taste sensation.

Helpful Tips

help
An_251960 pls hv u found a solution? Am currently passing 2thru d same problem. pls help. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.