Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain under the left ear
ebeanne posted:
I have just recently developed this soreness under my left ear, sort of right above the jawline. It sort of feels like my ear is clogged or "full". My nose runs constantly, I have a post nasal drip all the time and feel like I constantly need to clear my throat. I was diagnosed with acid reflux several years ago, which comes and goes. I seem to be having it a lot though within the last two weeks. I take Prevacid for that. I don't have any allergies (that I'm aware of). I do smoke however. I also grind my teeth (mostly on the left side) but don't suffer from any headaches or anything like that. I also don't have any pain or pressure in my sinuses. So what's up with the ear thing?

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Many things....

1. TMJ disorders, especially in people with bruxism (grinding of the teeth) can get ear pain.

2. People with colds or allergies can develop middle ear pressure or fluid (effusion) that can lead to ear pain (or infections).

3. People with reflux can develop eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD). ETD can cause middle ear effusion which can lead to ear pain.

4. Smoking can cause ETD....and lead to ear pain. Smoking can make reflux worse. Why in the world would you be smoking?

You have them ALL....so it will be up to your medical provider to sort out these (and other) causes and determine the best course of action for you. This is not something that can be accomplished over the Internet, unfortunately.

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.