Skip to content
Polymyalgia Rheumatica and Zostavax
joancope posted:
My doctor ordered the shingles vaccine, Zostavax, for me. I understand that a "possible" side effect could be polymyalgia rheumatica. I had p.r 12 years ago, when I was 56, and it was dreadful. I am reluctant to take Zostavax for fear it may bring the p.r. back, as I understood from the doctor who treated me at the time that it lies dormant in my system. Could Zostavax really bring the p.r. back again? I am really afraid to take the drug and just don't know which way to turn.

Joan Cope

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
I don't know that answer, Joan....I do not use Zostavax in my current pediatric and adolescent practice, and this is not an issue that is typically addressed on the Ear, Nose, and Throat board. Sorry that I couldn't help you with this issue.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.