Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Unable to Taste Anything
JITIME posted:
I just went through a pretty bad cold - probably the worst I've ever had and now I have a lingering cough along with alot of nasal congestion. Also, for the past 5-7 days, I really can't smell much and can't taste anything. Is there anything I can do? Or do I just have to wait it out? this has never happened to me before.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
You have little choice but to "wait it out". In most cases, the body will restore your ability to taste and smell, but it is not possible to know how long this might take. Assuming you do not have a secondary infection that requires treatment, there are not specific treatments for the loss of taste/smell.

labellavita1217 replied to Rod_Moser_PA_PhD's response:
I am having a similar problem. I recently was diagnosed with strep, I had an awful cough, sore throat, and congestion. Then one day I woke up with my Uvula so swollen it was laying ON my tongue! So I started on antibiotics and now feel fine. I can breathe through my nose just fine, but can not smell or taste anything! Is this normal?? How long till it comes back? I've had the same sensation when I've had a cold in the past, but it always comes back as soon as I can breathe through my nose again. Any thoughts are appreciated!! Thanks!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to labellavita1217's response:
Give it a week or so, and I think you will see that your taste and smell will return to its former acuity levels. It would be highly unusual to lose these senses from a strep infection. Remember that you also had an underlying cold (cough, congestion), and perhaps, even a difficult-to-diagnose sinusitis. One course of antibiotics may clear the Strep, but not a sinusitis, so please see your medical provider again if you are not back to normal soon.

winks_lbj replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Are there any other causes for a poor sense of taste?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to winks_lbj's response:
Put " taste and smell disorders emedicine" in your Google search engine. You will find a detailed medical article that will list the numerous causes. Taste and smell disorders are neurologically linked.

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.