Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Drainage In Ear
Longhorns3 posted:
For the last 3 months I have had what feels like some kind of fluid in my right inner ear that drains down my (eustachion?) tubes and down my throat. When it does not feel like it is draining it feels like just a lump or something in my inner ear. Also I occasionally hear a humming sound that seems to pulsate with my heartbeat, it is not all the time and typically occurs if I have been sleeping on my ear at night. During these 3 months I have had periods where it has gone a way completely for a week or two but it just seems to keep coming back, never really getting more worse though than the time before. I have taken clariton-D, Zyrtec-D, and now trying Mucinex-D to relieve the problem. Very recently I have noticed a very slight hearing loss in my right ear as well. What do you recommend taking, and should I see a doctor? Thank you for your help.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Absolutely. You need to see a good ENT. This is really the only way that you can be properly examined, diagnosed, and treated. You are having symptoms that could originate from the inner ear (tinnitus - the humming and/or pulsating, hearing changes), but the inner ear does not really drain down the back of your throat through the eustachian tubes. The middle ear can drain, but the eustachian tubes are sooooo tiny, that any fluid would be almost undetectible. The fluid may not be coming from your ear, but this is to be determined based on your exam.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.