Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Drainage In Ear
    Longhorns3 posted:
    For the last 3 months I have had what feels like some kind of fluid in my right inner ear that drains down my (eustachion?) tubes and down my throat. When it does not feel like it is draining it feels like just a lump or something in my inner ear. Also I occasionally hear a humming sound that seems to pulsate with my heartbeat, it is not all the time and typically occurs if I have been sleeping on my ear at night. During these 3 months I have had periods where it has gone a way completely for a week or two but it just seems to keep coming back, never really getting more worse though than the time before. I have taken clariton-D, Zyrtec-D, and now trying Mucinex-D to relieve the problem. Very recently I have noticed a very slight hearing loss in my right ear as well. What do you recommend taking, and should I see a doctor? Thank you for your help.
    Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
    Absolutely. You need to see a good ENT. This is really the only way that you can be properly examined, diagnosed, and treated. You are having symptoms that could originate from the inner ear (tinnitus - the humming and/or pulsating, hearing changes), but the inner ear does not really drain down the back of your throat through the eustachian tubes. The middle ear can drain, but the eustachian tubes are sooooo tiny, that any fluid would be almost undetectible. The fluid may not be coming from your ear, but this is to be determined based on your exam.

    Helpful Tips

    Help me some one please i need help with my son
    My son is 10 months old and when he was a month he had hopping cough and i took him to the doctors 3 times and they didnt pick up on it so ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Focus on Flu

    Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.