Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just found out I have colon cancer
DMSCARED posted:
Friday was a bad day for me when i was told I have cancer.Brother , sister and son all have had cancer of different types. Brother was 22 when he passed away, sister was 32, son was 32 when diagnosed but beat the cancer. I'm scared, confused and depressed. Dont know how to really cope with this with the family history and how do I tell friends and family that I have cancer?

Marcia1029 responded:
So sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Hearing those words is so devastating. The outlook for colon cancer and many others is so much more optimistic today than ever before. What information did they give you? Will they do surgery? Do they know if there were lymphnodes involved? There are several stages of colon cancer based on how invasive it is. That usually determines your treatment plan. My husband was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer 5 years ago. He had surgery and chemo. He has since had 2 recurrences with spots on his liver, and he is back on chemo now. The many advancements in drugs to treat colon cancer have allowed us to continue to treat the cancer when it comes back. My husband was 48 when diagnosed and generally in great health. While the chemo has been far from pleasant, he has weathered it well and for the most part, other than the 3 or 4 days after treatment, he has been able to take part in all his favorite activities. In fact he's heading out to the golf course this morning! As far as telling your family, that is certainly tough. We found that after the initial diagnosis and subsequent recurrences we went through a horrible helplessness and period of great sadness for a couple of weeks. After we learned what the treatment plan would be, we both got our second wind and went into "fighting mode". We were ready to do whatever it took to zap the nasty beast. I think what most cancer patients and their families want is answers, and those are not always definitive. What is helpful though is to have as much information as possible. We told our children and our family after we had those answers from the doctor. We found it a little more reassuring for everyone to know that there was a plan and exactly what we were going to do to fight back.

This is a great site to visit just to vent, to find out how others cope and respond, and to get support from others who are, or have experienced what you are going through. Come here often and let us know how your doing and what treatment you will be having.

Having colon cancer is not a sprint, but a journey. I'll say a prayer that you find a good doctor who communicates well and can provide you with the best treatment plan available.

Marcia

LinuxLady247 responded:
Hi and Welcome,

I'm so sorry to read that you too have to battle colon cancer. This board is a great place to vent and ask questions. Your emotions (i.e. scared, confused, and depressed) are normal. Try to relax and treat yourself well. When the time is right, the words will come to tell your family and friends. Please keep us posted. I'll say an extra prayer that you, like your son, will beat the cancer.

You and your family will be in my prayers.

G-d bless,

DaLy

MomLuvsKids responded:
I hope all goes well for you! I have recently had a colon cancer scare myself. I am only 28 and had a 1.3cm polyp removed that was cancerous. It has only been 3 months since removed and I still have sharp stabbing pains in my stomach and constipated all the time. I am scared that it is coming back already. What symptoms did you have?

Also,I hope all goes well with your son. I have 6 year old that I am worry about. Knowing he is at high risk of developing these cancerous polyps also.

Did your brother every have any symptoms?

Blessed2day responded:
You can beat this. You must have a survivor mentality NOW. The power of your self talk and mindset is incredible--don't underestimate it. Lastly, prayer and spiritual intervention is key. Once you have shared this news with your circle of family and friends, ask each one of them to pray for your healing and to pray for God's will. As them to pray for your surgeon, oncologist, and radiologist. Read all of the 'healing' verses in the Bible as often as possible. These are the tips I used to beat colon cancer.

To answer your question, tell your family, and your friends when you are ready. This is a lot to process, especially considering your family history. YOU ARE A SURVIVOR!!

jad2u responded:
I'm so sorry to hear your news.

My dad had stage 4 colon cancer that had spread to his liver, lung and bladder and has been cancer free for 5 years. Your family cares about you and wants to know what is going on...good or bad. They will be your strongest supporters.

You will be in my prayers. Stay strong and never ever give up.

Lighting12 replied to MomLuvsKids's response:
Hi MomLuvsKids
What were your symptons?

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center