Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
What happens after partial colon removal?
clpixie posted:
A friend is facing the removal of about 2 feet of her colon, What should she expect afterward? Will she have to change her diet or lifestyle?

mtngranny responded:
In 1983, I had 18 inches of my sigmoid (left side) colon removed due to cancer. I did not have any radiation or chemotherapy. The cancer was confined inside the colon and had not spread.
I have done great with no after effects. I have had only one small polyp in the years since. I try to watch my diet and do exercise, although, not as much as I should. I am now 70 years old. I have had breast cancer in 2006 and uterine cancer in 2007. I am doing very well at this time.

DUKE MEDICINE
Hope Uronis, MD, MHS responded:
Hi.
This is a difficult question to answer as it will all depend on how things go. Your friend may need to change some things initially, during the recovery period. However, there is a very good chance that she will have no long lasting effects from the surgery (though this somewhat depends on what part of the colon is going to be removed). I would recommend that your friend talk to her surgeon to be sure she knows what to look our for.
Hope Uronis

clpixie replied to mtngranny's response:
Thank you for replying. It's nice to hear from others about their experiences. My friend was comforted to learn about someone else that had a similar surgery and came through fine. She had her surgery yesterday and is doing well.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center