Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
my CEA marker is increasing
An_187348 posted:
I had stage 3 Colon Cancer surgery Dec 4/2000, and 6 mths chemo
Now I am getting some bad news,my CEA marker is increasing
after 9 yrs my CEA is now rising,up to 34 now,
normal CEA is around 3,or 5 , mine was was 14 last fall and this January,is now 34 ,I had a cat scan and Scope March 23,that was clear.

anyone have experience with CEA marker increasing?

DUKE MEDICINE
Hope Uronis, MD, MHS responded:
Hi. First, congratulations on completing your surgery and chemotherapy 9 and 1/2 years ago. That is great. The fact that your CEA is rising now, after all this time, is somewhat puzzling to me. It is very reassuring that the CT scan and the colonoscopy looked good. Is your doctor planning to continue to follow this closely? I would also suggest that you ask your physician if you need to have other screening tests in addition to the CT and the scope. - Hope Uronis

An_187349 replied to Hope Uronis, MD, MHS's response:
Thanks,
more Cat scans /blood tests booked
from my reading online, if its cancer growth,they don't know where ,it it may be non cancer,
ie; liver disease, inflammatory pancreas,,Inflammatory bowel disease,
what other non cancer,disease/conditions could I have?

what perfect name for your role in life ,"Hope"

An_187350 replied to Hope Uronis, MD, MHS's response:
PET scan results :

surgeon thinks is cc recurrence,3cm x 3 cm "increased uptake"hot spot in & around in intestinal tract,not sure if it's a mass,could be lymph node cancer,but nothing else found,not in liver

PET saw something in thyroid," little hypo dense tissue ,compared to normal at thyroid gland",could be cyst

I'l get chemo again ,once oncologist reviews tests,but may have small surgery to get biopsy

I assume thats Erbitux and Vectibix, anyone taking it, how are side effects?

DUKE MEDICINE
Hope Uronis, MD, MHS replied to An_187350's response:
Hi. I am sorry to hear that there was an abnormality noted on your PET scan, especially since you put everything behind you so many years ago. It sounds like a biopsy is being discussed and this would make sense as long as it could be done without too much risk for complications. Have you discussed specific chemos with your doctor? Good luck with everything as things move forward.
Hope

colonvet replied to Hope Uronis, MD, MHS's response:
Dr Uronis,Thank you for your reply,

a biopsy could risk what complications. ?

PET scan summary :

"small bowel mesentaery lymphadenopathy,with intense increased activity,3.0 x 3.0 cm. Max SUV 11.8,likely metastatic disease"....

"likely metastatic lymphadenopathy"

advice,comments ?

Marcia1029 replied to An_187350's response:
Just wanted to share my husbands experience with Vectibix. He is stage iv colon cancer, originally diagnosed stage iii six years ago. He has had Folfiri and Folfox and when he had a third recurrence, they tried the Vectibix. He had a very rough time. Seems the dose of the drug is key. The drug makers recommend a very high dose and our oncologist even cut it in half, saying it was still very effective. My husband's cancer did respond to the drug, but the side effects were so severe, he chose to come off the drug after 9 months. Severe rash on his face and torso. (We finally figured out topical steroids and Aquaphor where the only thing that provided any relief) and his nail beds (fingers and toes) started splitting open and getting infected. He also started having severe abdominal pain, which hospitalized him several times, and we weren't certain whether the Vectibix was responsible for that or not. My recommendation would be to start with a low dose to monitor your side effects. My husbands rash on his face got so bad, I got him a same day appt with a dermatologist who put him on the steroid creme. It's a shame that the side effects were so bad, as it seemed to hold the cancer in check. My husband is a big boater and water sports fan, and any amount of sun at all made his skin go crazy. He made a quality of life decision to go off it. Now back on Oxalyplatin to see if we can hold it off awhile longer. Good luck! Everyone's reaction to the drug is different. Hope you have mild side effects and that you respond well to it.

crismtl replied to Marcia1029's response:
Hi Marcia ,
I have been on Vectibix ( 6mg/ kg of body mass ) for 2 1/2 months , 6th treatment next week and I had good results. The CEA count went from 2000 to 136 , after the 4th treatment. I have a rash kept in check with minocycline pills ( one a day ) and problems with nails solved by clindamycine cream and Propolis tincture , from the Homeopathic Store. Also Calendula flowers cream for the dryness and splits on the skin of the fingers. Vectibix is fairly new here in Montreal , Canada , and oncologists do not know the full effects of it. Was Vectibix keeping the CEA count in check for your husband ? My oncologist does not want to give me a PET or CT scan , saying that he is relying on CEA alone ! Is it right to do so ? I hope Oxallyplatin works for your husband ! Good luck and keep the faith ! Cris

SeattleMark replied to crismtl's response:
Hi Cris, I'm new to this site and I see that the date of your post is now a month old. I hope my information may be helpful. I'm dealing with coloncancer which is identified as stage 4. I completed six months of chemotherapy eleven months ago (Folfiri Avastin) and I'm doing very well so far. In my case a rising CEA level was an important marker when no other symptoms of cancer were present. But I'm told by my oncologist that this isn't the case for everyone. I understand that CEA doesn't always indicate cancer. You may want to have more discussion with your doctor or consider a second opinion. Good luck and I wish you well.

Mark

liuyulin replied to SeattleMark's response:

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center