Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
rising cea level help
zazi2010 posted:
am a 1year satage 1 colon cancer survivor but since surgery cea level kept rising and now it is a 24 had ct cololonoscopy pet xray done and my doc sys all clear should i be concerned

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi zazi2010,

I am sorry for the delay in my reply. When exactly did you last see this doctor and did he/she perform the cea test?

I have a link to a wonderful summary on the Carcinoembryonic Antigen (CEA) test that can explain CEA levels in more detail. The second page is going to be most helpful to you in looking at reasons for High Values as well as What To Think About shows information that you need to know about possible recurrent colon cancer.

OVERVIEW ON CARCINOEMBRYONIC ANTIGEN (CEA)
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/carcinoembryonic-antigen-cea

Please make sure to follow up as soon as possible with your doctor again or even get a second opinion if you feel that you are not being fully treated at the moment.

I wish the best for you and hope that you will keep us posted! You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Best Wishes! Amelia

An_187354 responded:
I had stage 3 Colon Cancer and 6 mths chemo ,,after 9 yrs my CEA is now rising,up to 38 now, normal CEA is around 3,or 5 , I had a cat scan and Scope March 23,that was clear.

believewecan responded:
I've been going through this with my wife for the last year and a half (stage 4 rectal cancer, currently on chemo) so I've been doing a lot of research.
Be sure to check your thyroid activity-it can affect the test according to what I've heard.

colonvet replied to believewecan's response:
can you give some URL's to read?

and explain what you mean by thyroid activity?

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

it worked for me!
My husband died 2/3/4 of colon cancer. August 2011 I became vegan on a dare and 2/3 12 I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was surprised! ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center