Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

elective total knee replacement safe 1 yr after colorectal cancer surgery?
ronanngilbert1 posted:
I am a 66 yr old male with a compromised immune system. I was hospitalized for 2 wk in Dec 2006 with a MRSA infection diagnosed as cellulitis of the right hand. I was released and treated for 6 mo as an outpatient. I developed mobility problems during 2007. I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis but osteonecrosis in particular in my left hip. I had a THR in June of 2008. 1 mo after surgery I developed a MRSA infection in my left hip incision. I was treated as an outpatient for a yr and a half for this infection. In Jan 2009 I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. I went through radiation and chemotherapy prior to having a lower anterior ressection in July 2009. This surgery was followed by 3-4 mo more of chemo. I have only had a short bout of c diff colitis and some lingering radiation enteritis but otherwise, have been upgraded to the category of survivor. I was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer, and of course am complying with all followup tests and procedures. My right knee has now deteriorated significantly to the point that my surgeon is recommending a total replacement but has voiced concern about my history of MRSA. The hospital computers indicate MRSA cultures were grown from my blood samples. My surgeon naturally has ordered a battery of tests including a bone scan, before he makes a decision, but all the results won;t be in for about a month. Of course he won't tell me much of a definite nature until all the test results are in. I understand this. I trust him completely. However, until then I am sitting on the edge of my chair, wondering about the risks and safety of a total right knee replacement surgery at this point, given my history of infection and the cancer.

Helpful Tips

A doctor review website that converts marketing costs into medical research funds
A great way to support colon cancer research is signing up to through Colon Cancer Alliance link. For every sign up ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center