Skip to content
post surgery ulcerations?
ronanngilbert1 posted:
I had a lower anterior resection 14 mo ago. The surgeon took plenty of margin and the pathology results showed no residual cancer. However, I was diagnosed at Stage 3, since a pre-surgery rectal ultrasound showed the cancer had spread to my lymph nodes. Following surgery, I did have a short bout of c diff colitis , and for a little over a year, periodic bleeding accompanied by diarrhea (chronic radiation enteritis?). A few days ago, I had a followup colonoscopy, and my GI doctor said I had a band of ulcerations at the point of reattachment. She added that no mass was found. She took five biopsies of the ulcerations. It will take two weeks to get the results back from pathology. The doctor would not comment on the cause of the ulcerations. However, the nurse said it could be bacterial or viral. How worried should I be? Two weeks is a long time to be in this kind of suspense. Any comments? I'd appreciate any feedback at all.

ronanngilbert1 responded:
I guess I'll feedback to own post. The only reason is that I'm ecstatic and I have to share my joy. As I said, I just could not stand the suspense, so I pestered my pcp until she, I guess out of sympathy for my distraught and overly stressed out condition, pulled up my pathology report from the colonoscopy. The report showed inflammation,and ulcerations, but no CANCER. I'm happy, and just had to share it. Maybe there's some truth to 'the squeaky wheel getting the grease'. But I'.m still concerned about the inflammation and ulcerations. I read that chronic inflammation could be a risk factor for the formation of cancer cells. Is this true? I also still want to know the cause of the ulcerations.Just putting these thoughts out in written form seems to be stress relieving for me. But I would relish any outside input. A monologue might release tension, but I think dialogue is much more productive

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center