Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1.Head over to this page:

    2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3.Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    ffpos1 posted:
    I experienced a severe and painful bowel movement and sometime after i started having pain while sitting i told the doctol after it became unbearable and he suggested a colonoscopy which was reported as normal. i informed my doctor the pain had gotten worse he referred me to a surgeon who prescribed a salve ( nitro based) to relieved the tightness which didn't work so i opted for a sphinxterotomy which revealed a fissure and a fistula which was not found during the colonoscopy. afterward i could go to the bathroom again (it had gotten hard to even pass gas) but i am still in severe pain espesially when i sit and taking a pain pill everyday and when i feel the back of my butt it feels as though there is a lump internally. can you help ?
    Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi ffpos1,

    I am sorry to hear about this pain and lump that you are dealing with now. The WebMD article Anal Fissure - Treatment Overview , states that "It is important to understand that, even with surgery, an anal fissure must heal on its own. A sphincterotomy involves operating on the sphincter muscles, not closing the actual fissure."

    Please go back and see your doctor about this pain. I wish you the best and hope that your body heals soon, leaving you pain free. Keep us posted on how you are doing
    Best Wishes! Amelia

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center