Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Rectal bleeding, heavy bright red blood in stool and lower back pain?
Cwest10 posted:
Back in July I had a few cases of rectal bleeding after a bowel movement. Two were days apart and the other occurred a couple of weeks after the first. I did not experience any pain or anything, just a toilet full of bright red blood with large clots that I only discovered after I started wiping. I have regular constipation so I assumed it was hemorrhoids or something. It was a lot of blood each time, enough to fill the toilet. I went to see a colorectal surgeon in August and she looked up inside but didn't find anything.

It's been almost two months since my last experience, but today I discovered another toilet full of blood after an easy bowel movement. I wasn't constipated or anything and it came out relatively easy with not too much hard pushing, even though I hadn't had a bowel movement in a while. But there was still enough blood in the toilet that it colored the water red, and it was VERY brightly colored, almost pink, with clots. Afterward, now I am feeling some lower pain in my back. However, there was no pain when I passed the bloody stool. Again, there was a LOT of blood in the toilet.

I am starting to really worry about rectal cancer. Can anyone tell me what it might be? I am going to call that surgeon again and schedule a colonoscopy, but in the meantime I am so worried that I feel like crying. What am I going to do if they can't get me in right away? I don't have colon cancer in my family, but I am still really really worried. Can anyone help?

tammyrobo responded:
I don't want to scare you anymore than you already are but if your surgeon is not giving you an appoitment right away see if you can get an appointment with a G.I. dr.. April 28, 2009 I experienced the same kind of bleeding that you describe. It came out of nowhere and I also had no pain associated with it. I called a G.I. dr. and got an appt for June 1st. She also felt it was probably hemmroids, but to make sure she recommended a colonoscopy. I did this on June 18th and it ended up being cancer. I'm not saying that is what you have but if I had not had such an incredible doctor I probably would have been treated for hemmroids and by the time it would have been discovered what it really was it would have been to late. It has been over a year now and I am cancer free. The past year was not easy but you can get through with a positve attitude and a lot of prayer. According to my doctor my diagnoses was not typical for my symptoms and my age (40) but it can happen. I don't know why your surgeon did not recommend a colonoscopy.

I wish you the best, I know how scary it can be. The waiting is the hardest part. I did not push for a faster appt in seeing the G.I. doctor the first time because I believed the nurse I spoke to that it was probably hemmroids because it was bright red. The waiting was hard when I found out I had it then had to wait until July 1st to see the surgeon. That felt like the longest week and a half of my life.

Please keep writing to update what's happening.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center