Skip to content
lymph node abnormalities
ronanngilbert1 posted:
.. Posted by ronanngilbert1 Can someone please help me? I am a stage 3 colorectal cancer survivor. I just completed my 1 yr followup colonoscopy and CT scan. I received radiation and chemotherapy prior to my surgery and 3 more mo of chemo following surgery. My GI doctor found a ring of ulceration at the point of attachment with inflammation, but found no mass. She did 5 biopsies but pathology said they were all negative. However, my CT scan showed abnormalities in 4 lymph nodes. I have not seen my oncologist yet, but none of my other doctors will tell me what these abnormalities might be. How worried should I be? I have been a nervous wreck since I found out about this.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi ronanngilbert1,

I wish that I had some experienced advice to give you. I hope that you have found some answers by now and things are going better. Please let us know how you are doing? You are in my thoughts and I apologize for such a late reply! Take care!
Best Wishes! Amelia

ronanngilbert1 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Dear Amelia: I always say 'better late than never''. I really appreciate the reply It reminds me that somebody out there really is listening. I know that when you have something like cancer the worst thing in the world is to feel completely alone. Anyway, I did see my oncologist. I received two new bits of information. First, I have been restaged to 4 instead of 3, and second, the abnormalities were not being classified as a mass, but would be closely monitored. Are there any pertinent questions I should be asking my doctor at this point? I know that doctors don't like to give you too much information, especially when they might not have the answers to questions which that information might generate. Reply if you can, and thanks again for the comforting thoughts.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to ronanngilbert1's response:
Dear Ronanngilbert,

I'm so sorry to hear that the cancer has spread and for my late response. How are you doing now? Have you seen your doctor again? What is your plan for treatment?

I am praying for you and that you have a good support group or at least one person to lean on right now. Please keep me posted and I will be checking back consistently. Stay strong, ask as many questions with the doctors as you can and continue to be positive. Our minds and bodies work together to keep us healthy and strong!

If you are lacking on support right now below I have linked a WebMD List of Support Groups and Resources that might be able to give you one-on-one help and information!
((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))
WebMD COLORECTAL CANCER: SUPPORT & RESOURCES:
http://www.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/guide/colorectal-cancer-support-resources
Best Wishes! Amelia

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to ronanngilbert1's response:
I also wanted to send this WebMD Cancer Questions: Questions to Ask About Your Cancer Treatment . It might help with speaking with your doctor. Best wishes, thoughts and prayers.
Best Wishes! Amelia

ronanngilbert1 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Dear Amelia, look who's tardy in their reply now! I'm back again after 8 mo of being somewhere else, and just got a chance to read your last couple of replies. You don't know how comforting it was to read them. Actually, I went through two major surgeries in these past 8 mo, and neither one had anything to do with cancer. I had a total right knee replacement in Nov and last month had a revision surgery on my left hip, which was first replaced in 2008. Both surgeries, so far, have been successful, but were a little iffy at first, since my surgeon suspected, based on my history, that I had a MRSA infection in my bone. As it turns out, all pathologies have come back negative. What a relief! Next week I go back to oncology for my regular 3 mo testing, so I'll have to refocus my attention in that department. Sure hope you're still on the WebMD staff. Please reply if you are. I have a couple of new questions connected with colorectal cancer I'd like to toss out next time. Til then, thanks again for your warmest concern, and I really apologize for my neglectful absence.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center