Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Could someone tell me waht the cancer risks are?
patriciasquest posted:
patriciasquest posted: Hi,

My sister was diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer approx. 4 years ago. At the time they said she probably had it for the past10 years. She has been a nurse with the VA for the last 30 years. I
don't understand why she waited so long to get checked out. She currently has a colostomy bag, although she has never said anything about it spreading to other areas. If it is stage 4, would it have to have spread?
My mother's family is filled with various cancer death's; however, that is not what she died from.

After my sister was diagnosed, I had a colonoscopy done and was told it was okay. (I am 52). Would I have a higher chance of any cancer, or is colon cancer the one I watch for?

I am also supposed to have my gallbladder out soon, and read that that raises the risk for colon cancer. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks for any response.

Patricia

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Patricia,

I'm so very sorry to hear about your sister. It sounds like she has been busy taking care of others and forgot about herself. I'm not a medical professional, but according the WebMD Overview of Rectal Cancer Treatment by Stage , with Stage IV "Also called Dukes D rectal cancer, the tumor has spread to distant parts of the body (metastasized). The tumor can be any size and sometimes is not that large. The liver and lung are two places rectal cancer often spread." Read the article above and maybe you could speak with your sister and/or her doctor for more details on her personal health and condition.

I wish that I could find more information on your questions about possible cancers running in the family as well as the risks with gallbladder removal. Please make sure you speak with your physician about these concerns. I would love to hear what he/she has to say. You and your sister are in my thoughts and prayers. I wish your family the very best!
Keep in touch.
Best Wishes! Amelia

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center