Skip to content
feeling like a veteran
cjtigers posted:
I started a discussion on this site 11 months ago when I was first diagnosed with stage 2 colorectal cancer. Gosh, so much has happened since then. I went thru chemo/radiation for 6 weeks, had the surgery and ended up with a permanent colostomy, went through a horrible depression and am now getting close to finishing up my last round of chemo.
What has amazed me the most is our internal resiliency. I look back on the dark periods of the last year and am in awe that I survived it all. I'm definitely not the same person anymore. What I lost physically, I feel I gained spiritually. I appreciate things (leaves on the trees, the clouds in the sky, etc...) on a regular basis now. My relationships with friends have deepened.
I just want to give some hope to the "rookies" newly diagnosed. I'm not gonna lie, it's not fun what you will have to go through to fight this cancer, but you'll be surprised how you can persevere. Just meet this thing head on.

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center