Skip to content
Newly Diagnosed
Remaly8 posted:
My Dad has been diagnosed with rectal cancer. He iss 84 and just went through chemo and radiation and did very well. He just had another sigmoidoscopy to see what affects the treatment had. Doctor said his tumor is gone but did a biopsy to see if cancer still exsits. They believe it is in his near bye lymph nodes. Doctor is suggesting surgery with a full colostomy. Remember my dad is 84 but other than this is in great health. Do you think at age 84 he should go through with this surgery to remove the rectum and have a permanent colostomy? I have no idea how hard the surgery will be on him or do I just let him ride it out.

Please someone help me understand if it is worth for my dad at 84 to go through this. I am really struggling on what to do.

Donna

cjtigers responded:
So sorry to hear of your dad's diagnosis. I was diagnosed with the exact same thing almost a year ago. It sounds like we did the same chemo/radiation treatment they do before surgery. I am 48 so I went through with the surgery and colostomy even though they said the treatment had shrunk the cancer to almost nothing. I'm not gonna lie, it was a tough recovery for me, but a gentleman in my cancer support group who was much older than me seemed to have a much easier time. He said he experienced very little pain while my pain level was hard to control for many weeks. Ultimately, this will be your dad's decision. Just lend lots of love and support no matter what he decides.

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center