Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
colonoscopy - anesthesia or not?
tania06 posted:
I am scheduled to get a colonoscopy next week and am debating whether to have anesthesia or not. About 15 years ago, I had my first while living in France - under no anesthesia. I remember it not being very comfortable but not too too terrible. I have always had a really strong reaction to anesthesia and would rather avoid it. I can handle pain pretty well and prefer to not be drugged. I had my first son naturally - no drugs - and was much quicker on my feet then my second. Anyone out there had a colonoscopy without anesthesia want to share their story? I know it is pretty commonly done outside the US.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi tania06,

Personally, I have not experienced this and hope that others will give their experienced opinions and stories on the matter. Here is the WebMD Colonoscopy Overview to re-prepare you for this procedure. No matter which way you choose, I wish you the least amount of discomfort and best results. Take care and please make sure to keep us posted on how you are doing!
Best Wishes! Amelia

georgiagail replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Asked not to have anesthesia with my first one as I was curious to see what my colon looked like.

Changed my mind at the first "turn" of the scope. And yes, I'm someone who had both my sons naturally.

Gail

ike1954 responded:
All is fine until they have to pull a polyp or get a biopsy piece. I had anesthesia and came out just as the doc started puling biopsies. Felt like he was pulling my inards out my outards.
Nice to sleep and wake up ALL done!!

ike

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi tania,

Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing. Please let us know and take care!
Best Wishes! Amelia

cancergoneforever replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
I did my last one without and was just fine! I had sigmoid part of colon removed so that made it even easier. I would never again do colonoscopy with any kind of medication. I hate affects medication had on me (nothing too bad but still I'd rather have my head clear).
Good luck!

adhdpt replied to cancergoneforever's response:
I have had 3 and definately prefer no sedation. If you want sedation, you have options: Versed (midazolam) is the most common drug; it basically makes you forget most of the procedure and is usually given with a little painkiller. Downsides: the amnesia can be long-term and Versed does nothing for pain (it may not work at all); additionally many patients have a hangover for the balance of the day. You could get a real aesthetic (propofol); it's fast, short-acting (you sleep deeply and wake up quickly without hangover). Downside: your insurance may not cover the extra cost for propofol...

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center