Skip to content
Xeloda use
peggyjax posted:
My 85 year old father had surgery in December to remove cancer from his colon. Now will begin a treatment of Xeloda starting in 2 days. Do any of you have or know of experiences taking this drug at this age and if you have any advice on how to manage the side effects? Many thanks!

TammyRobo responded:
I'm not as old as your father, but I have used Xeloda. I'm a 41 year old female. I was on Xeloda about a year and a half ago. I used it and did radiation at the same time before I had surgery. I ended up having no tolerance for dairy products of any kind. I don't know if it was from the Xeloda or radiation but strickly staying off dairy of any kind did help me a lot. My advice is to have him mention anything unusual to his doctor at every visit no matter how small he may think it is so that they can make any necessary adjusments before it becomes a big issue. All the best to your dad and family. Please post soon to let us know how he is doing.

cjtigers responded:
I'm a 48 yr old female who just got done with 4 months taking Xeloda. I was pretty lucky. I didn't experience the nausea (in fact, I gained a pound or two), but it did effect the skin on the palms of my hands and the bottoms of my feet. The skin got tough, discolored, peeled and cracked. I just used lots of moisturizers. Towards the end I did experience some fatigue. In the big scheme of things in the chemo world, I think it was pretty easy. Good luck to your dad and keep us posted.

Chris48Ann responded:
I am just starting on Xeloda. Please let me know how your father does.

peggyjax replied to Chris48Ann's response:
Hi Chris -

My dad has completed his first two regimen of Xeloda and is so far side effects free!! I hope you will fare as well. I will let you know if he develops any side effects. Best of luck!

Chris48Ann replied to peggyjax's response:
Hi peggy

I just finished my first 2 weeks on Xeloda without any side effects. I will now go on 1 week without Xeloda. I feel great and sure hope it lasts.

peggyjax replied to Chris48Ann's response:
Hi Chris -

Glad to here you are doing great! My dad just finished his one week off and yesterday he started his 2nd regimen for two more weeks. He, too, is still symptom free! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

blouf responded:
My mother is almost 87, took xeloda off and on over several months, with minimal side effects. Reduced her tumor by almost 2/3. Unfortunately, she is not a candidate for further surgery; but if she was and it was not into her bladder and pelvic region, she probably could've had tumore removed. Best wishes to you and your Dad. My mother has already outlived her original prognosis! I'm sure that xeloda bought ger this time. Hope this helps.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center