Skip to content
LOSING WEIGHT
deb0161 posted:
My father has been battling colon cancer for 5 years, starting with surgery, radiation and chemo,and has been on chemo more on than off since that time. He has been doing pretty well until the past 3 mos. He is on Folfuri and avastin right now. He has been having frequent diarrhea. His doctor has him on all kinds of prescription meds to counter it, but takes many pills before it quits. The problem is.......he won't eat now. He thinks that if he doesn't eat and drink that he won't have the diarrhea. Doctor has even talked to him about the importance of eating and drinking. He has lost 10 lbs. in the past 6 weeks! My question is....does anyone know of tasteless protein mix or something to help him keep his weight up? Any shakes that aren't terrible? Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi deb,

I'm sorry for such a delayed response and hope that other members chime in with ideas that have worked for them or their love ones. Here is the WebMD Nutrition and Healthy Foods During Cancer Treatment article to help with some thoughts on diet.

Is your father suffering from nausea or just having the problems with diarrhea? How is he affected by taste?

Hopefully, we can get some ideas together. When my father was going through cancer treatment, he ate a great deal of dried ginger and this helped a lot with settling his stomach. However, he did not have colorectal cancer. I will keep your father and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and please get back to us when you can.
Best Wishes! Amelia

deb0161 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Has only had nausea a few times, mostly the diarrhea. He also does say that he doesn't have much of an appetite. Doesn't help that he was about 25 lbs overweight to begin with so he liked losing weight......even though doctors keep telling him he HAS to eat, that he is losing muscle too!!! He has gone from 235 to 195, over 4 years. (Should probably weigh 215.) Just wondered if maybe someone had some ideas. Thanks so much.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to deb0161's response:
The doctor hasn't recommended anything?

I guess I would just try to give him as many options as possible because it sounds like it is a mindset issue along with a fear of uncomfortable bowels. My heart goes out to you and I have been in your position. It is not easy. Whatever he will accept, I would think that is best. I'm not a medical professional, but feel your pain and wish the best for your father, you and your family. Take care and hang in there. (((((hugs))))))
Best Wishes! Amelia

georgiagail replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
IF your father can tolerate milk products (i.e., they don't worsen his diarrhea):

An easy milkshake recipe that tastes far better than any of the canned enteral products out on the market...

1. Mix 1 cup powdered milk into 1 quart of liquid milk (skim, 1%, 2%, whole; doesn't matter). Put this in the refrigerator to get cold.

2. Toss one cup of this "fortified" milk in a blender. Add a scoop of ice cream (any flavor). Blend for a few seconds.

Nutritional breakdown - 485 kcalories, 22 grams of protein.

Remember that sometimes milk and milk products can trigger diarrhea; if it doesn't with your father, this is an excellent protein drink.

Gail

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center