Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    stage 2
    jwwtdn posted:
    recently had surgery to remove stage two tumor in colon. I need to decide if I want to go through chemo. Anyone have any advice?
    ike1954 responded:
    Did they perform a PET scan and was it clean. If not then you have small amounts of cancer cells and I'd get rid of em'.
    If the PET scan was clear - it would indicate no cancer cells and what the heck would chemo then kill???
    If no PET scan - I wouldn't make any decision without it.
    If all you lymph nodes are clear of cancer that may be enough to bypass chemo - BUT that would be guessing without any further info. - I had Stage 2 also but my lymphs were biopsied clear and my PET was clear also and I did not go thru any chemo - now just doing quarterly blood work. I'd hit my oncologist up on "If we do chemo what are we trying to kill??"

    cjtigers responded:
    What kind of chemo are we talking about? Oral meds or infusion? I was in your same boat and went ahead with 4 months of oral chemo (Xeloda) after my surgery. I just finished up 2 weeks ago. It wasn"t as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I had a few minor side effects plus the fatigue, but in the big scheme of things I'm so glad I did it. Don't you want to feel you"ve done everything possible to beat this cancer?? Imagine the regret you'd feel if there was a recurrance. Sending good vibes your way. Please let us know what you decide.
    jwwtdn replied to ike1954's response:
    Since I don't know what a pet scan is I assume I did not have one done. I was told all cancer was removed and lymph nodes are clear. We are sending tumor for oncotype testing to determine risk of recurrence. Until then I plan to wait on the chemo. Thanks for your reply.
    jwwtdn replied to cjtigers's response:
    We are talking about infusion chemo. 5-fu and leukovorin for 6 months. Am very worried about side effects. immediate and long term. We didn't discuss oral so I don;t know if that would be a better plan or not. I feel that the odds of recurrence are not as great as the possibility of side effects of chemo. plus the chemo in this situation does not seem to increase the odds very much, only 5%. My doctor is sending the tumor to a lab to have oncotype testing done on it to determine the risk of recurrrence. Thanks for your good thoughts and mine are with you also.
    ike1954 responded:
    My PET scan was essentially a CAT scan with a cancer tracer. It makes cancer cells light up. You have a tough call and I hope you choose the one you want.. Make sure yo keep talkin to that oncologist to get the help you need to make the best decision for you!!!

    smeburg replied to jwwtdn's response:
    I just came back from the oncologist with the exact diagnosis and decision to make. I also feel the side effects and lifestyle changes for six months may not be worth the 4-5% increase. He is recommending FOLFOX, chemo, every two weeks for six months, including going home with a pump each time for 48 hrs. It's the same regime they give Stage IV. My doctor doesn't believe in PET scans, we asked about them and he recommends regular CT scans.
    Have you made a fian decision?
    cancergoneforever replied to smeburg's response:
    Hello there!
    In October 2007 I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. I had a surgery, cancer got out of my body and I went for 6 months Folfox injected via the portacath/pump. I've got pulmonary toxicity (pneumonitis) after 6th treatment so they had to take me off Oxaliplatin. I stayed on the old one (can't recall the name any longer).
    I am CLEAR. No trace of cancer. They've told me that I need to come to see them only if I suddenly start losing weight or am experiencing pain.
    I prayed, I excercized a lot, was eating healthy and had enough of sleep. Stress was on minimum as I decided to fight for my surrvival. I've got two cats who made me wonderfull company.
    I wanted to share with you my story as as reminder of what you need to know - you can survive!
    Best to everyone of you!
    2lkittie responded:
    My oncologist said there was no proof it would help, but I would decide depending on if it went to the lymph nodes or outside the colon, and if the surgeon got it all. And depending on how old you are, too, as well as if you have other medical conditions that could be made worse with chemo. After those considerations, if you feel, in your best judgment, that it is still a choice you want to make, do it. If you feel it is over the top and more than you feel is necessary given the good you feel you would receive from it, don't. But all anyone can do is let you know what things you might think about in deciding. You are the one who has to make the final decision. God bless, my friend.

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center