Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I am freaking out.. i had no symptoms and am scheduled for surgery
lking1950 posted:
The last week has been a nightmare. I have no symptoms that anything was wrong. I am 61 and had never had a colonoscopy so went in last week. The doctor came in and said he couldn't do it because he couldn't get through and sent me to x-ray for a barium enema. They did the test and he came in and said there was an obstruction, maybe a tumor but I needed surgery. He sent me to a colon-rectal surgeon 200 miles away. I walked in and he said there is a 90% chance of cancer and I needed 20% of my desending colon taken out!! I about freaked..he said that the x-ray showed a 'apple core lesion' which is almost always cancerous. I had stage 1 unterine cancer 7 years ago with a hysterectomy and no further treatment. Does not having any symptoms like blood, diarhea, or constipation a good sign or just wishful thinking? I am so emotional about this and have cried constantly and haven't slept much

cjtigers responded:
I know only too well the fear and anxiety you are going through right now. I was diagnosed a year ago with stage 2 colon cancer and was scared out of my mind. The first couple of weeks were a nightmare. The crying and insomnia were horrible. I finally decided I needed something to calm me down a little. I called my family dr and he prescribed ativan and a sleeping pill to help me cope. It helped a lot. I hope you have lots of friends and family to help support you through this. This is a lousy thing to have to deal with, I know, so be kind to yourself and accept all of the help and support you can get. Keep us posted.

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center