Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How to tell my daughter
AmigoMio posted:
Hi,

I have been diagnosed with Rectal cancer twoo weeks ago, I have spent the last weeks in the hospital going through MRI and CT scans to see if it has spread, so far they say it is not spread. I have to start radiotherapy together with chemotherapy for 5 1/2 weeks, then get a MRI scan, after that need to rest for a month and go under surgery to remove the tumor, not sure whether they will leave me with a stoma or not, once the operation is completed (removal of tumor) I will have to take six months of chemotherapy. Can anyone let me know if this sound familiar to you, as many of you I am chocked by the news. I have a 10 years daughter and wife (six months pregnant), my daughter doesn't know exactly what I have, I don't know how to tell her of if this will be a good idea to tell her at all, has any of you have to explain this to your son/daughter, your feedback will be appreciated.

Regards

cjtigers responded:
Your situation sounds the same as mine was a year ago. I understand your fear only too well. I did the chemo and radiation, then the surgery and then 4 months of chemo again and I did end up with a permanent colostomy. But, 4 weeks ago I got the good news that I am now cancer free. I won't lie to you, there were some tough times and a lot of soul searching, but I made it out the other end alive and well. I too have children although they are a little older than yours. I was truthful with everyone. This isn't something you can hide or cover up, you're gonna go through too many changes, plus you need all of the kindness and support you can get. Good luck on your journey and stay strong in the fight. It's worth it!

AmigoMio replied to cjtigers's response:
Hi cjtigers,

Thanks for your reply, your comments give me a lot of hope, and congratulations on your recovery, I hope I can say the same later in the year.

Regards and all the best.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center