Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Questions: Pre-surgery radiation+Chemo
An_187395 posted:
Has anyone in their mid 30's been through chemo and radiation treatment for shrinking a Colorectal tumor prior to surgical removal? If so, what were the most difficult stages and how was the effectiveness of that method of treatment? Thanks so much for any insight, I can use all the information I can get at this point.

souldesign responded:
I had Pre surgery chemo and Radiation in 2009. I was 42 at that time. That is still considered very young for this type of Cancer.
I elected to take my chemo thru a port and go home each day with it instead of sitting at the clinic. The chemo did make everything taste terrible and my family had to force me to eat a few bites of something each day. There were only a few foods I could tolerate eating during that period and it also took months and months before food begun to taste better again. I lost about 20 lbs from 6 weeks of Chemo.
For me the worst was the Radiation. What it does is like burns your tissue and makes it raw as the days go further into treatment. The first week or so was not so bad, but the further you get into it the worse it got. The last two weeks my family had to drag me there and I would be very upset insisting I couldnt take anymore. I am not going to get into the gorey details of what you go thru or feel but I can say that what I went thru did succeed and my Tumor shrunk quite a bit and it is now 2 yrs later and I'm still here so that in itself was worth it. Because of where the Tumor was located I now sport a colostomy for life, but that too was dealt with and I made the adjustments in my life to support all the changes that have occured.
In my opinion I'd rather go thru all that hell one time then just get the surgery and with no treatment and they didnt get it all and have to be operated on it again. The surgery was not pleasant either, the after...the recovery.
Just do what you have to do, be strong and believe you can beat this.

jbearva responded:
I'm not in my 30's (I wish) but am mid-50's. Had a large tumor that they did radiation and chemo for before the surgery. It was tough to go through, especially the radiation. I was having some real GI issues until the oncologist recommended Culturelle (a probiotic). Within a week, my system was 100% better. As for food, for me it was the smell of food cooking that turned me off. As long as I did not smell it cooking, I could pretty much eat it. Long story short, the radiation and chemo were successful in reducing the large tumor to a scar. This in turn gave the surgeon enough to work with so I didn't have to have a colostomy. After 1 1/2 years of treatment, I am in remission. It turned out a lot better than I thought it would when I first started out. I was scared as hell, but wanted to fight a good fight. I am thankful that I did. My support groups (wife, family, here) was what made the daily stuff bearable. Good luck and let us know what is happening.

cjtigers responded:
I realize you posted 2 months ago so you've probably already made up your mind and are either in the middle of your chemo/radiation or have already gone thru your surgery. I was diagnosed with stage 2 and the doctor was pretty adamant about me going thru the chemo/radiation to shrink the tumor before surgery. I did 6 weeks of both at the same time. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. It was no walk in the park, but not nearly as bad as I had anticipated. I had no trouble eating, didn't lose an ounce, but I did start taking vicodin about half way through for the pain. It was successful, it shrank the tumor quite a bit. After recuperating from that, it was time for the surgery and one more round of chemo. The surgery really "kicked my butt" literally. But I survived and am now cancer free. I go in to see my oncologist in a few weeks for my first 3 month follow up appt. I wish you the same great outcome. Please post again and let us know how you are doing.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center