Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dad's colon cancer
vetterbl posted:
Last month, they found a mass during my Dad's colonoscopy. One week later, he had a surgery to remove the mass. The cancer had spread, however, so they had to remove a piece of his colon, a piece of his small intestine, some of his stomach, some of his pancreas, and his entire spleen. And it's spread to his liver. My Dad has been in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks. As soon as he heals, they plan to start chemo.

My Mom passed away a couple years ago and my brother lives out of town, so the bulk of the caregiving has fallen on me. I'm at the hospital every day, and am in the process of applying for FMLA to help me take care of my Dad. Even though the odds are stacked against us, I see no reason why this story can't have a happy ending. I feel hopeful. But these weeks in the hospital are taking their toll on my Dad's outlook. I wish there were some way to boost his spirits.

Thanks for letting me vent.

--Brittany

cjtigers responded:
Hi Brittany,
I am a stage 2 colon cancer survivor. I was diagnosed in Jan. 2009 and went thru all of the chemo/radiation and surgery. It was a tough year, but I made it. The only advice I have for you is to take advantage of all the great cancer support services that are out there. From at home medical help, nutritionists, social workers, caregiver and patient support groups, the list is huge. You might want to go online too. I heard of a free housekeeping service for people who are going through chemo. Also, be sure to take care of yourself. Being a caregiver is both tough and stressful. Keep us posted on your dad's progress. I'll be sending good vibes your way.

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center