Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Normal treatment??
deal14 posted:
My FIL has been told he has rectal/colon cancer. We found out a couple months into it(due to him living in another state). He told us they did radiation on him first, then have done I dont know how many rounds of chemo now, and he is waiting for his surgery to remove the tumor(it should be this month). From what I keep reading it seems like everyone has their surgery before anything else.... I know he was waiting to get it approved through insurance but it just seems weird. They know he has stage 2 for sure, but since they havent actually taken the tumor out they said it could be worse they just need the surgery to tell though. Does any of this sound correct? Any suggestions for things to send to him also? We send him a little care box with some hard candies he likes, some ensure(for during chemo), some green tea-ginger tea-peppermint tea. Not sure what else to do but really want to help.

cjtigers responded:
The treatment your FIL is going through sounds the same as mine did. I was diagnosed in Jan. 2010 with stage 2. I did the radiation/chemo before the surgery to shrink the cancer. About a month later I had the surgery. After recovering from that I went through another round of chemo. About a month ago I got the good news that I am now cancer free. To help your FIL through this just be strong and supportive without being too pushy. Some days you just want to be left alone. As far as the care package goes I suggest sweatpants, slippers, anything comfortable and easy to get on and off. I lived in sweat clothes for months. Good luck to your famly.

deal14 replied to cjtigers's response:
Thank you. Yeah he already feels guilty even for goodies, and I have no idea what size clothes/shoes he wears.... plus we are very low on funds... but I will try and find something like that for him. Congrats on your bill of clean health! I hope he can make it, my husband and him have reconnected after years of nothing so... hoping everything turns out well. Thanks again for the reply.

Helpful Tips

giving blood saved my life
My iron count was too low to give blood. This can come from internal bleeding. I jumped my colonoscopy schedule by 2.5 years. They found a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center