Skip to content
waiting and worrying
lunchlady71 posted:
Last week I went in for what I thought was going to be removal of an internal hemmorhoid that had been bothering me quite a bit for the last couple months (bleeding and protruding). The surgeon discovered that instead, it was a large polyp (which he removed). I'm 39 years old and had my first colonoscopy at age 29 after my mother was diagnosed with colon cancer. I've had 3 colonoscopies since and polyps were discovered and removed twice. My most recent was in 2008 and one small polyp was removed. I was told I'd have to come back in 5 years for my next colonoscopy. Now, two years early, I'm having a large, bleeding polyp removed. I should have went sooner but me and my family doctor believed this was a hemmorhoid as the symptoms are similar. My mother died of colon cancer 4 years ago and my father has had polyps removed at least twice. Doctor says I'll need a colonoscopy right away. I meet with him later this week to find out results of the biopsy but in the meantime I'm so worried. I've done my regular screenings so I'm hopeful it was caught early enough but still scary to think something grew that big, that fast.

Bettymae58 responded:
If you've done regular screenings.. I think that you are in the "know" and well informed. I belong to an young organization called chris4life.org, which deals with colon cancer awareness, research,and cure. check out the website, I know you'll be fine. Keep in touch waiting and worrying

Betty Mae 58

Helpful Tips

Tip Title
Please, if your husband is having rectal bleeding please get him a colonoscopy asap...My husband was diagnoased just a year ago with no ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center