Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Rectal bleeding
An_187397 posted:
Hello. About two weeks ago my wife (48) was bleeding heavily from the rectum while taking a bowel movement. That lasted several days and she went in for a sigmoidostopy (sp.) two days ago which revealed the bleeding was due to hemorrhoids. Today she experienced continued bleeding and is unable to have a bowel movement, so she's becoming very upset and concerned. She called the Dr. Office today and they told her to eat more roughage and take metamusil, in addition to the cream that they gave her. The problem is, she's allergic to wheat so she won't take the metamusil, and she can't understand why she keeps bleeding after the procedure. She's very high strung and nervous to begin with, and now is freaking out that she has cancer, etc etc. So I'm doing my best to calm her nerves.
To that end, my questions are:
? Is it normal to continue to bleed after having gone through that procedure, and if so for how long? We're concerned it may have aggravated the hemorrhoids causing further bleeding.
? How many days should it take for the bleeding to stop? What might it mean if it doesn't stop?
? Is it normal to become constipated after that procedure? If so, typically for how long?
? Are there any non-wheat based foods or over the counter supplements she can take for the constipation?
? Any other advise appreciated.

Bettymae58 responded:
My mom passed away from Stage 4 Colon Cancer and Rectal bleeding, fatigue, unable to have a bowel movement, rapid weight loss, abdominal pain, were all symptoms my mom experienced. I would consult a gastrointestinal doctor and demand a colonoscopy. I wish you luck. Also, there are Colon Cleansing pills on the market that do not contain wheat-Colon Health is one in particular. Activia is a great yogart to help with bowel movement. Yet, if she feels as though something is wrong, keep pressing for answers.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center