Skip to content
Colorectal Cancer Stage 2
anmoulay posted:
Hi everyone,
my mother, 67 yo, diabetic, has just been diagnosed with Colorectal cancer stage 2, and is currently undergoing radiotherapy and taking Xeloda. Her doctor wants her to be operated, colostomy, sometimes in early may. The colostomy is for the rest of her life
I am looking for second opinions before we commit to surgery.
I am us citizen, my mother is not us citizen and lives abroad.
I was wondering (I live in NYC), what other alternatives, other than colostomy, my mother has? Can I bring her her to the US for treatment and if necessary, surgery here in NYC? What is the financial cost estimate of such surgery knowing that she is a foreigner?
Thank you
abel

2lkittie responded:
I'm somewhat amazed that the MD is doing all that on a stage 2. I had the same stage, impacted bowel, and they did surgery--didn't have much choice, really--and a temporary colostomy, gave me the choice whether or not to do chemo. I have epilepsy. Talked to friends and family I felt would give me good advice, prayed about it, turned down chemo, and now, a year and a half later, for me, the doc said, I made a good choice. There were no lymph nodes involved. If your mother has the same kind of situation going for her, I would think a second opinion, perhaps at a teaching hospital, would yield a more considered opinion. I wish you the best, and your mother as little interference as medically possible.

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center