Skip to content
Losing the love of my Life
1963cricket posted:
After a seven month battle with stage IV colorectal cancer, I lost my husband last week. I have lots of support from family and friends -- but no one who truly understands what I am going thru. We have two teenage sons and I feel like I need to take care of them --- and not the other way around. Does any know of any resources for support groups??? I was doing really well until after the memorial service yesterday. It's like I've been hit by a wave; a really big wave.

Everyone describes me as being so strong.... but I think they are talking about somebody else.

Any advice????

cjtigers responded:
I am so sorry for your loss. You must still be in a state of shock. I know I would be. I think being a caregiver is almost as tough as being the one with the cancer. In my situation I am the cancer patient so I'm kind of coming from a different perspective. I know one on one counseling plus joining a support group helped me enormously. Every cancer center usually has some sort of caregivers support group. I urge you to seek one out and talk to people who know exactly what you are going through. If you feel you need it, you should also think about seeing your family doctor. They may be able to refer you to a counselor and even prescribe anti depressants if you need it. You've been through a terrible life event, be kind to yourself and take care of yourself first. Only then will you really be able to be there for your kids.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I'm so sorry for your loss. There are really no words at this time. I lost my mother 6 months ago and I don't think I understood the impact of the death of a loved one until that time.

Please visit the WebMD Grief & Loss Community for additional support.

(((((HUGS)))))

Haylen

Cheleg responded:
So sorry to hear of your loss..my husband was diagnosed in Dec. 2010 with stage IV colorectal cancer. His liver is full of lesions too numerous to count! I also have lots of support from our church, family and friends. I hear the same thing..your so strong! I feel like they are talking about somebody else. I don't know what to say except get some counseling and talk to a professional who can guide you in the right direction. I don't think we have a choice but to be strong because we have children. God Bless and know that you are not alone!

Bettymae58 responded:
I don't know if you saw my post, yet when my mom passed I reached out to CCA and they told me that about an organization that I am now truly involved in called Chris4Life.org, check us out! Losing a loved one to this cancer isn't easy, but their is support from those who realize that sometimes you just feel crappy and want to cry, talk, rock back and forth, and other times you just want to stay busy or not think about the tragedy at all! We allow all of that to occur and don't judge,just support. If you need support, I'd like to help. Check us out on FaceBook or the web. My name is Kellie Matthews, friend request me. God Bless your family and I pray that each day your spirit will be strengthened. Stay courageous.

Kellie

BabyGyrl31 replied to Bettymae58's response:
Kellie,

Thank you for your post never knew where to turn when it felt like I couldn't go on and no one around can understand truly what it feels like. Going to check out CCA

BabyGyrl31 responded:
God bless you and your family. May God bring you comfort and allow the good memories to make you smile or laugh. I've been praying this for myself for the last 2 years since I lost my mother to this cancer. She too had stage IV. I won't lie and say it doesn't hurt and that it won't hurt for sometime but talking about it and sharing the memories with others has helped me

Helpful Tips

Tip Title
Please, if your husband is having rectal bleeding please get him a colonoscopy asap...My husband was diagnoased just a year ago with no ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center