Skip to content
Do bananas cause constipation?
An_187399 posted:
Do bananas cause constipation or make it worse?

I have done extensive searches--Google and Google Scholar--and I come up with a few mentions that bananas improve or worsen constipation--very very few from credible sources--just some random articles on dubious sites, from authors with no credentials.

I know they are used as a folk remedy for diarrhea but that does not prove they cause constipation.

I have chronic constipation after colon resection a few yrs ago--physician says to expect this will be permanent. I avoid dairy, meat, and rice because I cannot digest them....but wondering if bananas should go on the list too. (I love bananas.)

Thanks

cancersucks2011 responded:
bananas acts as the equavalent of a stool softener. That is what mt doctor recommened for my daughters constipation

An_240069 responded:
I was told be my doctor to avoid eating bananas for a while as they may cause constipation. I love bananas too, I eat two for breakfast everyday mixed in with strawberries, grapes, and mangos... Now I have to avoid bananas.

Helpful Tips

Tip Title
Please, if your husband is having rectal bleeding please get him a colonoscopy asap...My husband was diagnoased just a year ago with no ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center