Skip to content
Should I tell my father he has a cancer?
luckywinth posted:
My father went in for a physical check up and found that his platelet was low. In short, the doctor did the colonoscopy and a biopsy. He found that my father had a colon cancer and told my brother. My brother only told my father that he had some colon infection and needed to have part of his colon removed. The operation went well and my father has already recovered. Now he is going to the first chemo session without knowing it. My brother keeps it secret from him because he doesnt want my father to get scared of the fact that he has a cancer. I have talked to my brother and told him that we should tell my father what he is fighting with, but he disagrees. He is the one in charge of all the expenses and care-taking for my father, so I dont want to compromise his idea. However, I am worried about the side effects the chemo could bring to my father which would make my father realize something is up and will eventually know about the cancer. So is it better to tell him before the chemo starts or should we wait for a couple of chemo sessions and tell him? Does anyone have any experience like my situation? Any comment will be greatly appreciated.

Helpful Tips

Tip Title
Please, if your husband is having rectal bleeding please get him a colonoscopy asap...My husband was diagnoased just a year ago with no ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gastrointestinal Cancer Center